NintendoLegend.com is honored to have, for our fourth interview – among the foremost influential figures in gaming today, founder of the wonderfully popular ScrewAttack.com website, someone with some excellent insights on electronic games, and a man who cites the NES as among his all-time favorite consoles… Stuttering Craig!
1) The Elevator Pitch – A stranger runs into you, has no familiarity with you, and requests an introduction. What do you say, given 15 seconds to say it?
I’m Craig. I run a kick ass gaming website called ScrewAttack. We produce the best gaming entertainment online. Oh… and screw G4.
2) One word: Nintendo. Your thoughts?
I love their company and their games.
3) In the gaming community, especially as relates to the web and its videos, you are a significant, influential, skilled figure. Considering your experience(s) and interactions with people, what do you think the future of gaming looks like?
I think the future is as good as gamers want to make it. I do feel that the internet has played a role in changing gaming dramatically – mostly from the cynical nature that comes with the anonymity.
4) ScrewAttack.com is a fantastic site, obviously, full of lighthearted humor and high-quality content. I want to ask, specifically, about the name, which retro fans and perhaps others alike know to be referring to the Screw Attack item gained in the original Metroid game on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). I think it is cool, but why choose Screw Attack as the name for the website?
We looked at a number of different names but honestly, ScrewAttack.com was the only one that wasn’t taken.
5) Speaking of the NES, do you have a particular favorite old-school game?
I don’t have anything in particular. I’m of the mindset that you can find the positive in just about any game… except Wii Music.
6) I have noticed that you actually do not seem to stutter that much. Since that is not even a question, I will ask this instead: When you started ScrewAttack, did you honestly have any idea how “big” and well-recognized it would get, and foster such a strong community, or did you have big ambitions from the start?
Well I always wanted ScrewAttack to be something special but I do think we’ve carved out a really nice niche for a really great community. We’ve done some really cool and special things over the last 6 years and when the time comes I’m sure I’ll look back on them and say “man, that was really neat.”
7) The Morbid Question – What, ultimately, do you want your legacy to be?
Really, I want people to think of me as someone who always put the community first. People have been critical of me for things they have no idea about but my decisions have always been about what’s best for ScrewAttack and our community. Always.
Craig “Stuttering Craig” Skistimas’s commitment to community shows, as ScrewAttack has one of the most formidable community presences on the gaming web today, and has fostered the success of such entities as the Angry Video Game Nerd and Underbelly productions. I appreciate him taking time out of his busy schedule to answer some questions and wish him continued success in the future.